University-Wide Scholarships for Currently Enrolled Undergraduates
The Academic Scholarship Office manages a "university-wide" scholarship competition, meaning that current UA undergraduate students from any academic discipline are eligible to apply. Students must have completed the previous fall semester at the UA. The scholarship competition seeks students with a high level of academic achievement coupled with leadership qualities, campus\community involvement, financial need, or who have achieved academic success despite significant adversity.
- January 1, 2017 to February 15, 2017 (11:59 PM CST on Wednesday evening)
- Recommendations must be submitted online no later than 11:59 PM CST on Monday, February 20, 2017
To be considered for the University-Wide Current Student Scholarship program, a student must be:
- currently enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student in good academic standing
- planning to enroll as a full-time undergraduate student for the upcoming academic year
- have completed the previous fall semester as a University of Arkansas undergraduate student
- have completed the General Application in the AcademicWorks system
The University's Scholarship Review Committee will review all applications and consider the merit of the applicants' academic achievement, résumé, essay, recommendation, and financial need. Academic achievement is first gauged by a high university GPA and then by other indicators of achievement such as undergraduate research. The academic résumé, letter of recommendation, and essay are used to put the GPA into a broader context and provide a holistic view of the applicant. A high GPA alone is not the sole determining factor in scholarship selection.
The majority of the scholarships awarded by the Academic Scholarship Office are determined from a student’s academics and merits however, there are scholarships where the awards are determined from other unique student information. Some scholarships require students to have demonstrated financial need, as determined by the FAFSA, in addition to high academics and merits. Other scholarships require students to be from a specific geographic region, have certain types of on-campus involvement, be non-traditional students, or have other unique characteristics.
Students that have been awarded from the University-Wide Current Student Scholarship Program will be notified in May; with all applicants receiving notification no later than the end of the Spring term final exams. All students that submitted a completed application to the University-Wide Current Student Scholarship Program will be notified of their final award status regardless if their application was funded or not. All students will be notified by email and there will be no hard copy notifications sent.
- Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your e-mail address book, as some e-mail servers will block this address. The AcademicWorks system will send emails from this email address, please check your spam\junk folder if you are not receiving them. Also, add the email addresses for Garrick Hildebrand, email@example.com, and Denise Burford, firstname.lastname@example.org, to your address book as well.
- You will need one letter of recommendation. It is highly recommended that you submit your recommendation request on the General Application early so that your recommender will have time to prepare your recommendation. You will be able to go back into the AcademicWorks system and update your General Application if you are not ready to fully submit it at that time. Please provide the name and email address of your recommender when prompted on the application. Contact your recommender in advance and let them know that they will receive an automated email from the Academic Scholarship Office (email@example.com) asking them to submit their recommendation online directly into the application system. The recommendation must be from a faculty member, teaching assistant or academic advisor from the University of Arkansas that can speak to your academic abilities and potential. Letters from individuals that do not meet this requirement, such as work place supervisors, resident assistants, or individuals not associated with the University are strongly discouraged and may not be considered. All recommendations must be submitted online no later than 11:59 PM on Monday, February 20, 2017.
- Prepare a current academic résumé (approximately 2-3 pages; your résumé must be formatted as a .doc .docx or .pdf document) that includes out-of-classroom activities that you have participated in during your college career, demonstrating contributions to the University of Arkansas, northwest Arkansas, or your hometown communities. The academic résumé is used to place your GPA into a broader context. Please read the Tips for Creating a Résumé for guidance on preparing your academic résumé as well as reviewing a suggested format here. Only include relevant high school information that would support your work or continued history of service during your college career.
- Compose an essay (approximately two pages; there are no style requirements; your essay must be formatted as a .doc .docx or .pdf document) on the following topic: Eleanor Roosevelt once said “One thing life has taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else.” What interests have come to you during your academic career, and how will they carry with you after your graduation from the University of Arkansas? +Writing is a free on campus resource that you can use to assist in drafting your essay.
- Please do not submit any application materials to the Academic Scholarship Office. All pieces of the scholarship application will be submitted online unless specifically requested.
- All applicants must submit the completed General Application in the AcademicWorks system in order to be considered for the University-Wide Current Student Scholarship Program. Students are then strongly encouraged to follow through and complete any applications for specific scholarships and\or programs that they are recommended for by the stated deadlines.
- Continue to the online application portal. You will be asked to sign in with your UARK ID and Password into the “AcademicWorks – University of Arkansas” system. In the “AcademicWorks – University of Arkansas” system, you will be able to submit all application materials, save and come back to your application, check the status of your application, and accept any scholarship offers.
Additional Scholarship Opportunities
Numerous opportunities exist in each College and Academic Department on campus. The Academic Scholarships Office strongly encourages you to visit the College and/or Academic Department in which your academic major is housed.
Academic Scholarship Office