Other Residency Policies and Non-Resident Tuition Waivers

Some non-resident students may be classified as in-state residents for tuition and fee purposes under University of Arkansas policy or state law. Full residency information can be found in the U of A’s Catalog of Studies.

Alumni Legacy Scholarship

The Alumni Legacy Scholarship covers the majority of the difference between out-of-state tuition and in-state tuition and is offered to qualified undergraduate non-resident students (including international students) who are connected to the University of Arkansas in one of the following ways:

  • Child of a UA graduate: At least one parent is a graduate of the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville and is a member of the Arkansas Alumni Association
  • Relative of a UA graduate: A grandparent, aunt, uncle, sibling or spouse is a graduate of the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville and is a member of the Arkansas Alumni Association

The Arkansas Alumni Association's Alumni Legacy Scholarship page has more information.

Non-Resident Tuition Scholarship for Students with $4,000 University-Based Scholarships (Fayetteville Policy 516.0)

This program is available to all non-resident (for fee purposes) undergraduate students. Non-resident tuition scholarships will be awarded by the Academic Scholarship and Financial Aid Office in any semester in which the student qualifies when the total of University-based and controlled scholarships reaches $4,000 or more.

See Policies and Procedures 516.0 for more information.

Waiver of Non-Resident Tuition for Native Americans (Board Policy 520.1)

Native American people in other states belonging to tribes that formerly lived in Arkansas before relocation, and whose names are on the rolls in tribal headquarters, shall be classified as in-state students of Arkansas for tuition and fee purposes, on all campuses of the University of Arkansas. Tribes so identified include the Caddo, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, Delaware, Kickapoo, Osage, Peoria, Quapaw, Shawnee, and Tunica. Students should send a copy of their tribal membership card or Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood to the Office of Admissions, 232 Silas H. Hunt Hall, 1 University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701.

Resident Status of Students from Texarkana, Texas, and Bowie County, Texas (Board Policy 520.10)

In accordance with the reciprocity agreement described in H.C.R. 32, signed by the Governor of Arkansas on February 12, 1965, Board Policy 520.10 states, "Residents of Texarkana, Texas and Bowie County, Texas, will be classified as in-state students for University fee purposes at the University of Arkansas."

Resident Status of Members of the Armed Forces and Their Dependents (Board Policy 520.7, "Fees for Members of Armed Forces and Dependents.")

For the purpose of tuition and fees applicable for all programs of study, including distance learning programs, effective July 1, 2017, all campuses of the University of Arkansas System shall classify a student as in-state or resident, if the student meets any of the criteria, regardless of his or her residence, as outlined in Board Policy 520.7. See the Student Resident Status page on the Catalog site for more information.

ACT 1185 Non-Resident Tuition Waiver for Certain Arkansas Income Taxpayers

Arkansas income taxpayers who earn a minimum of $5,500 in wages and, with their dependents, reside in a bordering state in a county or parish contiguous to an Arkansas county in which a public institution of higher education is located may enroll at the University of Arkansas and receive an out-of-state tuition award under the provisions of ACT 1185 of 1995, Section 34. The availability of funds may vary each year, and the students must provide certain documentation. Please contact the Academic Scholarship Office at 479-575-4464 for more information.