The University of Arkansas proudly offers scholarships to support current and former members of the United States military services as well as dependents of military service members.
- Military Service member Scholarship: Students from all academic majors and disciplines are encouraged to apply. Scholarships are awarded to both incoming and currently enrolled students at the University of Arkansas. This program awards approximately 25 one-year scholarships valued up to $4,000 each.
- Military Dependent Scholarship: Students from all academic majors and disciplines are encouraged to apply. Scholarships are awarded to both incoming and currently enrolled students at the University of Arkansas. This program awards approximately 10 one-year scholarships valued up to $1,500 each.
- January 1, 2017 to February 15, 2017 (online application will close at 11:59 PM on Wednesday evening)
- Recommendations must be submitted online no later than 11:59 PM on Monday, February 20, 2017
To be considered for the University of Arkansas Military Scholarship program, a student must be:
- A current or former member of the United States armed forces (documented by DD 214 or statement from the student's current commanding officer) OR
- A dependent (spouse or child) of a current or former member of the United States armed forces (documented by DD 214 or statement from the sponsor's current commanding officer) AND
- All documentation verifying military affiliation must be on file with the Veterans Resource and Information Center (VRIC). If the VRIC is not able to verify military affiliation, your application will not be considered. AND
- Have on file a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or submit
a new\updated FAFSA here AND
- Please note that having a FAFSA on file does not affect any aspect of VA or Military educational benefits
- Planning to enroll as a full-time (12 hours), degree-seeking undergraduate student for the upcoming academic year OR
- Planning to enroll as a degree-seeking graduate student with at least 6 hours for the upcoming academic year AND
- ROTC cadets are not eligible unless they are prior service members and can verify their service with a DD 214
The Military Scholarship Committee of the Academic Scholarship Office will review all applications and consider the merit of the applicants' academic achievement, résumé, essay, recommendation, and financial need. Applicants will be selected based on several different factors such as academic merit and potential, financial need, campus and community involvement, lack of educational benefits, and time to degree completion. Scholarship applicants will be notified of the Committee's decisions in mid-June after spring grades have been processed, with all applicants receiving notification of the status of their application.
- Add email@example.com to your e-mail address book, as some e-mail servers will block this address. The AcademicWorks system will send emails from this email address, please check your spam\junk folder if you are not receiving them. Add the email addresses for Garrick Hildebrand, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Denise Burford, email@example.com, to your address book as well.
- You will need one letter of recommendation. It is highly recommended that you submit your recommendation request on the General
Application early so that your recommender will have time to prepare your recommendation.
You will be able to go back into the AcademicWorks system and update your General
Application if you are not ready to fully submit it at that time. Please provide the name and email address of your recommender when prompted on the
application. Contact your recommender in advance and let them know that they will
receive an automated email from the Academic Scholarship Office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
asking them to submit their recommendation online directly into the application system.
The recommendation must be from a faculty member, teaching assistant or academic advisor
from the University of Arkansas that can speak to your academic abilities and potential.
Letters from individuals that do not meet this requirement, such as work place supervisors,
resident assistants, or individuals not associated with the University are strongly
discouraged and may not be considered. All recommendations must be submitted online no later than 11:59 PM on Monday, February
- If you are a new incoming student (undergraduate or graduate) the requirement that the letter of recommendation be from a UA faculty member is waived.
- Prepare a current academic résumé (approximately 2-3 pages; your résumé must be formatted as a .doc .docx or .pdf document) that includes out-of-classroom activities that you have participated in during your college career, demonstrating contributions to the University of Arkansas, northwest Arkansas, or your hometown communities. The academic résumé is used to place your GPA into a broader context. Please read the Tips for Creating a Résumé for guidance on preparing your academic résumé as well as reviewing a suggested format here. Only include relevant high school information that would support your work or continued history of service during your college career.
- Compose an essay (approximately two pages; there are no style requirements; your essay must be formatted as a .doc .docx or .pdf document) on the following topic: Eleanor Roosevelt once said “One thing life has taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else.” What interests have come to you during your academic career, and how will they carry with you after your graduation from the University of Arkansas? +Writing is a free on campus resource that you can use to assist in drafting your essay.
- Please do not submit any application paperwork to the Academic Scholarship Office. All documentation regarding your military service or affiliation must be on file with the Veterans Resource and Information Center (VRIC). The VRIC is located in the Arkansas Union 603.
- All applicants must submit the completed General Application in the AcademicWorks system. Once the General Application has been submitted, the application for the Military Servicemember Scholarship and\or the Military Dependent Scholarship will be recommended. All applicants must submit the appropriate military scholarship application by the stated deadline in order to be considered.
- Continue to the online application. You will be asked to sign in with your UARK ID and Password into the “AcademicWorks
– University of Arkansas” system. In the “AcademicWorks – University of Arkansas”
system, you will be able to submit all application materials, save and come back to
your application, check the status of your application, and accept any scholarship
- If you are a new incoming student (undergraduate or graduate) you must have first applied for admission and have received your UA username, password, and @uark.edu email address before you can access the AcademicWorks system.
Additional Scholarship Opportunities
Numerous opportunities exist in each College and Academic Department on campus. The Academic Scholarship Office strongly encourages you to visit the College and/or Academic Department in which your academic major is housed.
- College and/or Academic Department Scholarships
- Outside Scholarships
- Alumni Association Scholarships
Academic Scholarship Office